To realize this concept, the research partners will focus on accomplishing the following objectives:
- The engineering of a new dexterous micro-robotic endoscope end-effector for precise laser power delivery in minimally invasive surgeries. This system will control the surgical laser displacements from the immediate vicinity of the surgical site.
- The creation of an intuitive and information-rich augmented reality man-machine interface for assisted teleoperation of the micro-robotic tool during laser microsurgeries, including real-time surgical guidance based on pre- and intraoperative surgical plans. This goal will generate designs and experimental results related to:
- A novel assistive teleoperation interface that supports informed decisions;
- A new laser visual servoing system for precise depth estimation and laser tracking;
- An augmented reality surgical interface based on accurate registration of preoperative images.
- The study and development of new micro-optomechatronic technologies for intraoperative real-time cancer tissue visualization based on fluorescence.
- The creation of a cognitive supervisory system capable of learning and predicting the changing characteristics of the surgical site during laser procedures. This will generate a novel class of supervisory safety system for laser microsurgeries; one which will complement rule-based systems by detecting unforeseen surgical situations that would otherwise pass unnoticed.